Thursday, October 26, 2006

What a Difference a Day (or two) Makes!

Wednesday, October 25, 2006
Monday, October 23, 2006
I had been basking in the stunningly gorgeous blue skies and sunshine that have been ours to enjoy during October, so much so that I took a picture of gorgeous Monday. Then, as Gomer from "The Andy Griffith Show" would say, SURPRISE, SURPRISE, SURPRISE! Wednesday brought not just ferociously strong winds but a poignant reminder that time marches on and life doesn't stand still. Once upon a time, I had this poem memorized, and with a little diligence I could probably get it back up to speed. Anyway, it sure spoke to me yesterday:
Nothing Gold Can Stay
Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leafs a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.
Many interpret this poem to mean the sadness of time passing, the fall of man in the Garden of Eden, etc., but I choose to think of it as an affirmation of the blessing of Adam's fall. For we are blessed because of the fall, and we will indeed increase as we go through the cycle of change which God has designed. "So dawn goes down to day" doesn't necessarily mean the loss of dawn (going down), but rather something even better, beyond it brings full daylight, brightness, hope. So with winter coming, I must remember, remember that with change beautiful things can come. (I might still complain about the cold, however.)




1 comment:

Dave said...

Dee, I love your interpretation of this poem, you expressed it very beautifully and I was touched by your message.

Love ya,

Dave