Thursday, June 12, 2008

Nice How These Things Work Out

With Jordan, Dave, Christian and Sean away last Friday night, Ashley and I decided to do girls night and go to dinner at Rumbi Island Grill and then do some shopping. The shopping was only at Costco, but it was shopping nevertheless; money exchanged hands, the cash register went "ching, ching", and it was that euphoric shopping fix for me. Fabulous. (I'm not too hard to please. Shopping at a postage stamp vending machine is still shopping and a thrill to me.) Even though we didn't go do some exotic crazy activity--it was just a cheap little dinner and shopping at a big box store, yippee--I had so much fun. The reason it was so much fun is because I was with Ash, and I don't get a chance to hang out with her so very often. Ashley is so great to be with because she is so pleasant and easy-going and gracious. She looks at everything with big, wide, eager eyes and has little room in her life for much cynicism or negativity. And she is just plain fun to be with. Simply put, I guess I would describe our evening together as easy and satisfying.


So why the sappiness about dinner and shopping? Such a little thing, I know. But it is the accumulation of times like this that make my life feel rich and full. I am so very lucky. And do you know why? Just ask me. Dare ya. Because the people I would most want to hang out with are the very people who have to hang out with me. Huh? Well, like they say, you can pick your friends but you can't pick your family. So I guess they are stuck with me. But I would pick my family every time, even if I didn't have to. And I got the lucky end of the stick, that's for sure.

1 comment:

Tigh, Jacque, & Charlotte said...

That is such a sweet post Deon! I wish I were in your family... :)
Hope you're doing well!
Love you!