Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Isn't She Darling!

Last week was my mom's 91'st birthday! Can you believe her? 91!!! She still has such a sparkle in her eye, a spring in her step, a wicked sense of humor, and a determination to accomplish something productive every single day. She was born in her family home, rode a horse to school, served a full-time 18-month mission at age 19, worked as the head dietician for the original Marriott Hot Shops in Philadelphia, received her bachelor's degree, taught at Ricks College (BYU-I) and BYU, supported her husband through the long and arduous road of medical school, sold real estate, started her own Cougar Cakes business, took private pilot lessons, volunteered as a Pink Lady at UVRMC for many years, snow skied until the age of 82, raised six rambunctious kids, has been widowed for 30 years, continues to volunteer weekly at the MTC all while maintaining and living in her own home, just to name a few of her many accomplishments. While out at a restaurant for her birthday dinner, we somehow got started playing musical chairs and switched our places around while Mom was off at the salad bar. When she came back to the table she had only to take one quick glance before she gave us a look that said, "Ha! You can't fool me that easily!" Her sharp and wicked wit shows up often, and I just love anticipating what she'll say next. She stays current on political and social issues and always seems to be reading a new book or magazine. If someone doesn't get over to her house to mow her lawn as promptly as she would like, she will be out there with her trusty mower doing it herself. And she still makes a mean rump roast.

I love you so much, Mom. I couldn't have asked for a better mom than you. It hasn't necessarily been an easy road for you throughout the years, yet you managed to always stay optomistic and cheerful and make my life the best it could possibly be, always putting me and my needs and my wants before your own. The world holds up many heroes, but you are my hero. And I love you.

4 comments:

Beth said...

What a grand lady! Here's too many more years of her cheerful wit!

Jacque said...

Deon, you have an awesome mom! I hope I can accomplish as much as her!

Ashley said...

Happy birthday Grandma! I love you too!

Randy or Jen said...

Happy Birthday Grandma! I love your crazy sense of humor. You are my hero too!

We love you!!!