Monday, February 23, 2009

Who Needs a Second Opinion?

THE SCENE: People huddled over a hospital bed on the fifth floor of the medical center, speaking in hushed tones, too focused on the work at hand to notice any other activity around them.

"Are you sure that's how it is supposed to be done?"

"Yes. That's the way I've been doing it for years."

"Well, I think we should look it up just to make sure."

"No, no, no. Trust me."

"I'm not so sure. I think we should get a second opinion or something."

"Look, I know what I'm talking about. This is the way I was taught, and this is the way we should do it."

And with that, my sharp-as-a-tack 91-year-old mother won every hand of Rook that we played with her that night, fair and square (using her rules that is . . . ).

EPILOGUE: Mom got sprung from the hospital and is eagerly awaiting another High Stakes Poker, er, I mean, Rook Show Down. And I'm no fool--I'm not about to make any wagers against her!

5 comments:

Beth said...

You are so brave! Are you sure you are up to round 2?

Ashley said...

I need to learn how to play! (with grandma's rules or otherwise)

Jacque said...

Hahaha! You are so cute Deon! Your mom sounds like a hoot! I want to play next game night! Give me a call!

Dave said...

There's no chance of winning when your playing Rook with G'ndma, but it's sure a lot of fun trying!

Randy or Jen said...

I have learned from past experience NOT to play with Grandma! I am fairly confident that she cheats!