Friday, July 17, 2009

Four Out of Five Broomsticks . . . Maybe Three and One-Half

The gang all went to see "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" on its opening day. Simply put, the movie is better than good but not as great as great. There is too much to say about the translation from book to movie, so I won't, but I will say that I was fairly/so-so/quasi happy with the way the movie turned out. Well actually, the more I think upon it, the more I am disappointed that critical bits were totally left unexplained or totally left out altogether. I have to quibble, though, about the PG rating; I'm not so sure the rating is appropriate. There were a couple of scenes that would have left me bawling for my mommy if I was just a tad younger than I am now. Just so you're forewarned. On the plus side, the acting among the leads has been ratcheted up a bunch of notches. A bunch. Especially Daniel Radcliffe. Bunches.

A couple of weeks ago I decided that I needed to reread the sixth book to refresh my memory before seeing the movie. Well, I ripped through that in a matter of days, and I bet you HP fans can guess what's next. Of course! After having reread #6, I couldn't JUST STOP THERE!!! Duh, what was I thinking? HP aficionados will know exactly what I'm talking about. The rest of you need to get crackin' on those books! So after quickly reading a novel which was lent to me by a friend (and since it was lent to me by a friend, I felt an obligation to read it and quickly return it to her sooner than I had returned the last book she lent to me--which was about seven months later, uh, yeah), now #7 is my bedtime buddy.

And a word about the books: J.K. Rowling is brilliant. That's all. Her imagination is unbelievable, and her ability to make the reader care very deeply for her characters is genius. My personal benchmark of a book worthy of my time is if I find myself thinking about the characters of the book as I browse aisle seven for pasta sauce, or while sitting through the high counselor's talk on the third Sunday. (Oh, come on! Don't tell me you've never had your mind wander during those talks. Er, well, except for your HC talks, Dave! We're always perked up and alert while you're at the pulpit. Promise.)

Speaking of rereading, Christian committed to himself to reread the entire series (through #6, anyway) before he saw the movie. The rub is that he committed to this only about two weeks ago. In the picture below you can see Christian in the theater where he literally finished the last pages of #6 during the previews (and those annoying ads) before the start of the movie. I know, I know. For you sharp-eyed readers who see that Christian's place in the book isn't anywhere near the end, the photo was a recreation. A recreation just for you guys. Are you good?

Since we all had tons to discuss about the movie, we stayed in the theater so long that the clean-up crew was sweeping around our feet; we were the only guests left. I think the workers were dangerously close to tossing us each a broom and asking us to pitch in with collecting the staggering amount of trash and popcorn left on the floor. It was then that we decided it was time to take our leave, thank you very much.

We are definitely looking forward to movie #7 and movie #7 the second.







In case you are wondering, yes, that is a blanket on my lap. There appears to be a pact among theater owners throughout the country dictating that they must, under threat of having to submit their marquees to incorrect punctuation, maintain an indoor temperature of 55 degrees winter, spring, summer and fall. I like to come prepared for the inevitable.

9 comments:

Ashley said...

Despite its flaws, I really did like the movie, and would like to see it again. I enjoyed watching the actors the most, I suppose.

My memory of first being introduced to Harry is a little different that of yours (check the comments on my blog again).

Kathleen said...

Cute shorts D! If only my mom were always so stylish. I can't believe Christian re-read all the books. Dave looks so excited in the bottom picture. Is he still stuffed from his Krispy Kreme trip?

Lisa said...

Deon,dahling....your writing should be in print. You have got a gift!

Alison said...

We agree...the movie was very good, but there were some (we thought) key parts left out.

Deon said...

Ash, so are you saying that I get to take a little credit for introducing HP to the fam? Sweet. Actually, I do think it was you who mentioned the book to me which led me to buy it for Sean's b-day. So I still give you my thanks.

Beth said...

What a fun family activity! There is no way I could even attempt to drag Gwyl to HP! No one would have enjoyed the show! Here's lookin' at you Dave!

The Morris Family said...

What a great family activity! I loved reading and rereading the books! JK has such a vivid imagination.

Jeanne said...

Hi Deon, it's Jeanne Flosi. Lisa Anderson sent me to your blog--thought I might enjoy reading your so-well-said comments on your life. And I have enjoyed them all! We all know about cold movie theaters. Actually B.J. Medler (do you remember her) and I have asked for and gotten our money back because we were too cold to enjoy the movie. (of course we asked after the movie so it was a loose/win situation!) We have a condo in Florida where there is only one temperature in theaters: FREEZING. We keep blankets and beach towels (even better) in the trunk of the car. Anyway, carry on!

Deon said...

Jeanne! How fun to hear from you! I'm so glad you commented! You have a condo in Florida? Well then, what are you doing from about November through March? I'll be right down! I AM SO JEALOUS!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who freezes in the movies! And don't get me started on church. I would love going to church so much more if it meant that I didn't have to wear Dave's pin-stripped suitcoat during sac. mtg.!