Saturday, August 22, 2009

A Top Five Fave For Christian


To set Christian off on the right foot for his first day back to school (wah, wah! from me; yipee! from him), I made one of his favorite home-cooked meals for dinner the night before. (At least he says it is one of his favs, and yes, he knows who to kiss up to. He is one charming guy . . . .) And by coincidence, it is the same meal I refer to at the end of this post. I knew you were all secretly coveting the recipe, so I've decided to share. My guess is that this recipe has been going around and around for a couple or three generations. I bet your grandma used to make this, right? Well, it may be as old as dirt (not referring to any particular grandma, to be sure), but it stays in circulation for good reason. Enjoy!

PORCUPINE MEATBALLS WITH ORANGE GRAVY

1 lb. ground beef
2 handfuls of white rice
3-4 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup dehydrated onions
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 cans cream of tomato soup
1 1/2 soup cans water

Mix beef, rice, flour, onions, salt, and pepper together in bowl. Form into walnut-size balls (or a tad larger). Do not overwork the meat. In a pressure cooker, heat the soup and water to a rolling boil. Add the meatballs and secure the lid. When the pressure valve pops up, turn heat to medium or medium-low and put the regulator thingy on top. Is that what it's called? Sorry, but I don't know my pressure cooker terminology very well :( (Hey, I'm just happy I haven't blown up our house using this thing.) Continue to cook for 20 minutes while maintaining a slow, steady rocking motion of the regulator thingy. Remove from heat and allow the pressure to decrease on its own. This will take another 20 minutes or so. After the pressure valve has dropped, carefully remove the lid and spoon out the meatballs. The remaining liquid magically becomes the orange gravy which is so delicious served over mashed potatoes. Yum, yum!

By the by, the corn in the photo above is courtesy of Farmer Dave. The cost was around $20 per ear. Despite growing approximately 15 stalks of corn, poor Farmer Dave has been able to harvest exactly two (dos) (zwei) (deux) (tvÄ) ears.

6 comments:

sherman and juliette said...

oh, that dinner looks good and so does Christian, he is on good lookin kid!

The Morris Family said...

I loved going to Grandma's house when I was a kid, because it surely meant porcupine meatballs!

Beth said...

We love porcupine meatballs at our house! I think that Dave is very lucky to have gotten 2 dozen ears of corn from his hard work. We have had to sneak over to the neighbors garden in order to pick our fresh corn!

The neighbors thought that a raccoon was getting into their corn! They set up traps and even an electric fence! Ha, Ha Ha, it was really Gwyl sneaking over!

Lisa said...

I love your new photos on the side!

Farmer Dave said...

Next year I will be growing my corn at Macey's (4 ears for $1.00)

Barbara Bakes said...

Thanks for adding Pressure Cooking Today to your Blog List! I'd love for you to share your Porcupine Meatballs recipe on PCT.