Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Line Forms to the Left


Cookie Posses No. 4 and No. 5 showed up the other day only hours apart. (Or is it No. 6 and No. 7? Uh, I don't know, I've lost track of which posses are which, all I know is that each posse has different kids in it and there are a boatload of them.) Whatever. All you need to know is that a slew of kids came over this week for some bonding time with my double oven.

Posse No. 4(?) consisted of three little girls from my neighborhood who showed up just to say howdy, but I could tell they were wanting to settle in for a long, long afternoon tete-a-tete. I was planning on making THE EASIEST(!!!) COOKIES IN THE GALAXY (recipe to follow) later that day, so when the girls came by to visit, I decided to invite them to help with the cookies because: 1) I'm a multi-tasker at heart, and 2) my day was a busy one. People to see, places to go, things to do . . . . Chat n' bake. Kill two birds with one stone, yada, yada. This particular posse hadn't ever made cookies with me before, so they were thrilled to the tips of their little ponytails for a chance to get to know my Jenn-Air. Again the multi-tasker in me came out, and I thought that we might as well do some good with these cookies, the smell of which will put you in the mood for autumn, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas all at the same time.

We thought of a family in our neighborhood who could use a little sweetness, and I put those girls to work making homemade cards to go along with the cookies. I pulled out everything scrapbooky that I could dredge up, which was a rather pitiful selection since I'm not a scrapper. Do you scrap? I don't scrap. But we still managed to cover my kitchen table from end to end with stickers, papers, glue, markers, hedge trimmers, a weed whacker, and I even think I saw a chainsaw under all of that mishmash. Thank the high heavens that I had the presence of mind to leave the glitter hidden in the cupboard. You glitter once and the glitter will continue to haunt you and yours for the next five months.

So the cards turned out adorable, the cookies delectable, and we all had a great afternoon as the girls shared the gossip about their big brothers' exploits. (Note to parents: Be aware that little girls have big mouths.) I just drank it all in.

I like that multi-tasking thing.


THE EASIEST(!!!) COOKIES IN THE GALAXY
aka
Pumpkin Cookies

1 box of spice cake mix
1 15 oz. can of pureed pumpkin
1 cup mini chocolate chips or raisins (or a mix)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease cookie sheets. In a large bowl, mix the dry cake mix with the pumpkin puree. Add the chocolate chips and/or raisins. Drop mounded tablespoons (or larger) of dough onto cookie sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes depending on the size of cookie. (I use a spring-loaded mini ice cream scoop which holds about two tablespoons of dough, then I bake the cookies for about 15 minutes.) The cookies will not spread.
All done. Ho hum.


Then Cookie Posse No. 5(?) decided to make the wonderfully magical Magic Bars. And magical they are! No muss, no fuss, just pour, sprinkle, pour, scatter, sprinkle, scatter, and your job is done, thank you very much. You've become a magical cookie faerie.


I think these kids loved it when I kept calling them all the magical cookie faeries. Especially that well-built kid in the blue shirt. Really. I could tell. He loved it. I could just sense it. Everything would go silent every time I said it. It was kind of like, oh, I don't know, kind of like electric volts shooting out of the blue-shirt kid's eyes. So I kept saying "magical cookie faeries" over and over. Neato.

MAGIC BARS

1/2 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
6 oz. semisweet chocolate chips (I cheat and use double that)
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour melted butter into a 9x13 pan. Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs over butter. Pour sweetened condensed milk over the crumbs. Scatter with chocolate chips, sprinkle with coconut, scatter nuts (in that order). Press mixture down firmly with the palm of your hand. Bake 25 minutes. Cool. Chill in refrigerator for two hours. (You may want to score them before the refrigeration to make cutting easier.)
What did I tell ya? Magical.

Gee, I think Christian caught a glimpse of our resident ghost, Bucky, just as I snapped that first picture of Posse No. 5 (see above). He was speechless for the rest of the afternoon. All he could do was point and mutter a bit. He never really could explain that vacant look in his eyes . . .

4 comments:

Beth said...

Yum! I am going to make your easiest pumpkin cookies with my little cookie posse! (i.e. granddaughters)

The Morris Family said...

I heart recipes! I think we (Addison and I) will have to try both!
Tell Christian that I'm sorry he had a run in with Bucky! That would probably leave a vacant look on my face too!

Lisa said...

I want to come over and bake cookies with you....

Dave said...

I can vouch that these cookies (both pumpkin and Magic Bars) are the best ever. Just one look at my expanding waistline is proof enough