Friday, December 18, 2009

Sweetened Condensed Milk Book Reviews


I've been doing a bit of reading these last few months, so gather 'round kids because it's time for another edition of "Reading is FUNdamental!" All strapped in? We're going to take this fast so pay attention. Here we go:

A-D-O-R-E-D it yet again!

I can't say enough about my Jane.






A thought provoker nudging me

toward some serious self-reflection.

Very much enjoyed it.







I've always been curious about the Mrs. Pollifax series. Fun, easy escapism.







The previous book was fun, easy escapism.

This one was easy, fun escapism.

But now I'm good.








Deceivingly simple but actually very, very deep.

I liked it very much.








Now you're talking my language!

The best of Jane Austen in my humble opinion.

Absolutely the best.






After three tries at this book over the last few years, I finally conquered it. Harder to read than Jane Austen, but almost as satisfying. Almost. Thackeray lacks the warmth of Jane Austen. Still great, though. Oh, that little Becky Sharp!







I know I'm Johnny-Come-Lately in getting around to this title. It was a little difficult for me to read through some of the more descriptive parts, and it could have/should have explored the life lessons a bit more thoroughly.

So, yeah. I liked it but didn't love it.




So there you have it, gang. A parting shot: "She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain."

--Louisa May Alcott 1873

9 comments:

Beth said...

I'd like to know where you find the spare time!? Thanks for the reviews!

The Morris Family said...

I would also like to know where you find the time! If I were to do a book list, it would consist of Dr. Suess and Little People Pop Up books.

Ashley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashley said...

I need to reread Sense and Sensibility. It was the first Austen book I ever read, but I don't really remember it too well.

Jordan had to read Siddhartha three times in high school (because he moved so much). He loved it. He likes Hermann Hesse's Steppenwolf even better.

I have time to read at night, if I don't squander it. Like by blogging! Good night!

Jenni Elyse said...

Thanks for the reviews. I need to get around to reading more Jane. I've only read Mansfield Park. I just saw Pride & Prejudice for the first time and I really want to read it now. Alas, too many books and so little time!

Lisa said...

The Parasites is one of my favorite books of all time. Did you hear about it from me? I just joined a four woman book club and I was asked to make the first choice and this is what I chose. I absolutely love the book!

Jason, Alicia, and Addie said...

It's always nice to get good reviews from people for new books to read. And I have to agree...Sense and Sensibility is definitely her best :).

Deon said...

I find the time to read by staying up waaaaaaayyyyy too late, just ask the neighbors. I also take a pass on David Letterman these days too.

Lisa, yes ma'am! I had never heard of The Parasites until you recommended it. Thank you! I'm finally working on The Help, and I can hardly put it down to catch a few hours of sleep. I am ADORING that book!

Anonymous said...

Hello! Can you tell me how i can register mail at google [url=http://google.com]google[/url] http://google.com