Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Going Retro

If you hang around this blog long enough, eventually it will dawn on you that I and all those living with me are basically a pack of nerds. And you don't even have to try to hide your pity for us, because we know we are a pack of nerds. And we LIKE it.

So onward to some nerdness!

What do you get when you take an old vinyl record album and lovingly mold it, shape it, coax it, humor it, nurture it, bend it to your will, force it to comply, completely change it to make it into exactly what you want it to be? Oh wait. I'm sorry. We were talking about a record album right? I got carried away thinking about my husband.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place an inverted 8" diameter metal bowl on cookie sheet. Find the goofiest vinyl record album in your collection--something that makes a statement about who you are. William Shatner singing "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" would be an ideal choice for this project. (C'mon. I KNOW you have one of Captain Kirk's albums laying around somewhere. Everybody does. No need to hang your head in shame.) Anywho! Take the album and fling it across the room like a Frisbee until you chop off someone's ear. Oops. No. Place it over the inverted metal bowl. Put the whole contraption into the oven and watch closely. As the vinyl begins to melt, use oven mitts or another metal bowl to ease the album into the desired shape. Return to oven if the vinyl is not flexible enough to mold. Allow to cool.

Display the bowl in the most conspicuous place possible in your professionally decorated home; this just screams high-society "CLASS-EE!"



Honey Spiced Pretzels

4 cups pretzel sticks or twists
3 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons margarine, melted
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon chili powder

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheet with aluminum foil; spray with cooking spray. Place pretzels in large bowl. Mix remaining ingredients; drizzle over pretzels, stirring to coat.

Spread pretzels evenly on cookie sheet. Bake 8 minutes, stirring once. Cool on sheet. Loosen pretzels from foil. Store in airtight container at room temperature.





5 comments:

Ashley said...

That movie is so weird! Jordan has a William Shatner CD, haha. I think it is more recent-ish. He sounds pretty old.

(I don't hate it, but let's just say I don't like it VERY much.)

Beth said...

Beam me up Scotty, there is no intelligent life here!

Jenni Elyse said...

That's an interesting idea, but "I canna do it, Cap'n. I don't have the power!"

Melissa said...

"...I got carried away thinking about my husband?!" I literally laughed out loud at that. So, so, so funny!

I love your blog. Seriously, one of my absolute favorites. Thanks for the little doses of hilarity you add to my life!

Oh, and sorry, I DON'T have any Captain Kirk. I do, however, have Leonard Nimoy singing "The ballad of bilbo baggins." Will that work? :)

Jason, Alicia, and Addie said...

Now THAT is a creative idea! Oh, and I love Star Trek...good ol' Captain Kirk...