Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Looks Like Somebody Took Umbrage

Apparently, I wasn't the only one who looked at this list (check it out to reload and refresh your memories) and scratched their noggin, thinking, "Are we even on the same planet as this man?" The author of the article below, Susan Aylworth, takes great pains to be diplomatic and tactful in referring to the previous list (see her opening paragraph), but as delicate as she tries to be, by the very fact that she felt compelled to write this article hints that deep down she must have blown a gasket, hurled the first list across the room at her husband, and simply said, "that man!" as her husband probably blinked at her in alarm, but managed to keep his mouth shut. He's a quick learner; two or three tries at defending his gender must have taught him a big lesson.

Although I still feel like a slacker as I glance over this list, I can at least pronounce the book titles (as opposed to that other loony list), and I have even managed to see my way through to the end of a few of these selections. Yes I have, Mr. Skeptical. Interestingly, most of these books are written by women. I'm not trying to make any sort of a superiority statement with that, I'm just pointing out that women rule.

Oh, okay! I'll pacify you men out there; I'll try that again: I'm just pointing out that women rule . . . on this particular book list. Is that better? Love ya, guys!

Click on list to see if any of your faves are included.
Mine? "To Kill a Mockingbird." Near perfection.

9 comments:

Jenni Elyse said...

I've actually read a book on this list. There are many on my to read list from this list as well.

The Morris Family said...

I was just thinking what Jenni wrote. I have actually read a book on this list! To kill a mockingbird is my VERY favorite book too. I can read and re-read that book and not get sick of it. (I think I learn something different every time I read it too!)

Ellen James said...

I have to say I'm glad to see books that I recognize on this list! I too LOVE To Kill a Mockingbird... my all-time favorite book. I HATED Poisonwood Bible, it really bothered me for months. Love all of Jane Austen, and love all of Chaim Potok. My Name is Asher Lev is my other all-time favorite. This is a much better list than before! I see we are new goodreads friends. You will like that a lot!

Lisa said...

I've read nine of them. Poisonwood Bible is one of my very favorite books ever. I also love Uncle Tom's Cabin and To Kill a Mockingbird.

Ashley said...

I've only read three from this list. Wow, that's worse than the other list! But this list seems like a better one to shop for books from. I have not read Poisonwood Bible. The conflicting opinions make me interested...

Lisa said...

Ashley, dear.....have I ever lead you astray???

Ashley said...

LOL @ Lisa! But now that I know that you haven't read Harry Potter, I'm beginning to doubt your credibility...j/k!

Lisa said...

Good one!

Lindsay said...

is it weird that i have read 22 of the books on the first list, and only 7 from the second?