Sunday, May 16, 2010

On a Wing and a Prayer

My Mother's Day phone call with Elder Sean was precious. He sounded so happy and so, um, Antonio Banderas-ish, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Not a bad thing at all. It's just that his Spanish accent while speaking English made me have to press the phone to my ear super-dee-duper hard in the hopes that that would somehow make Sean's words come out sounding more like his former Illinoisan/Utahn self, thus enabling me to understand him better.

In any event, I did manage to catch two very important things in our conversation. Well, three.

#1: My favorite quote from Sean: "I love you!"

#2: My least favorite quote from Sean: "A member of the area presidency told us that our particular mission is the most dangerous mission in all of Central America."

Silence.

Biting my lip.

Invoking blessings from Heaven above.

Very glad that Sean can't see his mamacita wearing a face full of terror at that particular moment.

Blink, blink.



So! Happy dreams to me for the next few months.

Actually, Sean was trying to tactfully tell me that I probably shouldn't plan to travel to Honduras to pick him up at the end of his mission. Don't tell him this, but that was never one of the things on my bucket list. Not that I wouldn't want to or anything. It's not that at all. No sir! It's just that I remember that once upon a time the GA's discouraged families from traveling to their missionary's mission before the missionary has a chance to come home and be released. Yeah. That's it. That's the ticket. That's the reason I wasn't planning to go down to the most dangerous mission in Central America. Don't you see? I'm just trying to be obedient. Got it? GOT IT?! That's the ONLY reason. It would have nothing whatsoever to do with what Seanie told me. Nothin' at all. And it would have nothing to do with this little gem from Wikipedia (that is if you trust that site, and I often times don't, but I will turn myself completely over to it in this case):

"This airport is frequently criticized as being dangerous due to its location next to a sierra, its short runway, and difficult approach, which requires large commercial jets to execute a tight hairpin leftward u-turn at very low altitude to land on a very short runwayAmerican Airlines pilots, for example, receive additional, specific training . . . ."

Yeehaw!


Y-E-E-H-A-W!


Oh, and in case you were paying attention, here is #3:

Sean returns September 28th!!!
Yeehaw, indeed!!!


10 comments:

Gwyl said...

I like those famous last words in the video "Don't be afraid"

Melissa said...

September 28th?! I didn't realize that he was coming home so soon! That only laves you with, what - 4 months to worry? Guess it's better than 24 months!

Beth said...

Mother's Day calls from missionaries are the BEST!!!!! (next to Christmas calls that is!!!)

Lisa said...

We didn't go pick Sam up either and it was a good decision. I feel like I was following the counsel of the General Authorities as well. It has nothing to do with that scene in the ally with gunmen at each end. Nope!

Jenni Elyse said...

I thought flying into San Diego was treacherous enough. It's nothing compared to Honduras! Wow!

The Morris Family said...

I am a terrible flyer. I think I would probably have a heart attack flying into Honduras!
I am so glad that he has a release date. Is that the right word? It sounds like he is being released from prison. How about a return date? I am so glad that he has a return date! And if you are counting, is only 19 weeks away!!! (I have NO idea how I know that! LOL)

Ashley said...

From Sean's email on 12/01/08:

"Ya the arrival here and the landing was everything I hoped it would be. During mid-flight the pilot said three things:

1) he said that we as passengers notice the mountains start to get really close to the plane really fast and that that was nothing to be worried about

2) on the final approach for the landing we would make a "continuos left turn" all the way up to the runway and

3) once we landed we would have to slow down really fast because the runway is shorter than most.

Needless to say we were way excited. He lived up to all expectations and exceeded them. No harm was done though, we all survived."

He described the videos exactly!

J, A & A said...

Haha! Wow, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to land in that airport anytime either. So I commend your choice...let him come to you :).

Deon said...

Ash, thanks for digging that letter up. I certainly do remember Sean giving us the scoop on his descent into Tegucigalpa, and in his typical way, he downplayed his scrape with DEATH!

Dave said...

We haven't completely ruled out going down to his mission after he is released, however. It's just that we will be riding Greyhound rather than taking our chances with that horrific airport. Besides, Greyhound will give us a chance to acclimate to the crime we may encounter while in country.