Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Separated at Birth

You all have your favorite TOP THREE right? Your top three favorite movies; your top three favorite television shows; your top three songs; your top three favorite ways to irritate mimes; your top three brands of hemorrhoid cream; your top three uses for Grandpa's toupee; etcetera, etcetera. So among my top three favorite books is "To Kill a Mockingbird." And among my top three favorite movies is "To Kill a Mockingbird." Huh. Go figure.

Anyway, from the moment one of the main characters, Scout, and I were introduced, I have always felt a distinct kinship with her. Soul mates without the actual soul patch. She was a tomboy. Same here! She had a brother who was slightly older and wiser. Same here! She liked to tag along with her brother and be a pest. Same here! (So sorry about that, J.) She wore her big brother's hand-me-downs. Same here! Same here!!! Me! Me! Me! Even to the point that I was sometimes mistaken for a little boy.

Phil Merrill's mother, upon first eyeing me up and down: "Now, who is this cute little boy?

Phil Merrill, my brother J and me: Dead silence. Shuffle, shuffle. Eyes on the ground. Toe tap, toe tap. Crickets chirping. AWKWARD.

Sidebar: I have finally concluded that it was in the very instant of that decidedly humiliating meet-n-greet that my quest for obscene amounts of high heels was born.

SO!

Very recently, another big brother of mine somehow dug up a photograph of me, the likes of which I have never seen. No joke. Being the sixth kid in a family didn't make me the target of the camera lens very often.

Sigh.

Sigh.

Okay. Enough pouting. So, consider the picture my big brother G pulled out of his hat, and then check out Scout. I rest my case, Your Honor.





Don't mean to make a big deal out of it, but what's up with my brother J being all buttoned-down and fancy and well groomed and presentable in this photo while I, on the other hand . . . .

6 comments:

Lisa said...

No! This couldn't be you! I never knew that down deep a tomboy resided! Well, you learn something new everyday!

Ashley said...

And grandma told Jordan the other day that you were never a tomboy...? You could be Scout's sister!

Melissa said...

I tried to comment on this the other day, but alas - my safari decided to shut down on it's own at exactly the wrong second.

NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS would I have guessed that was you in that picture. I absolutely love that you've shared this little secret with us...just HILARIOUS!

The Morris Family said...

I had to ask my dad who those two kids in the picture were. Too funny! I also happen to love Scout. So much that I am trying, actually begging, Randy to let me name this baby Harper after the author.

Ashley said...

Jen--as I've said before, you have my vote! C'mon Randy!!

Beth said...

You are the cutest little tomboy! That's an awful long shadow behind you, could it be that you are hiding stiletto's under those pants? And the obsession begins!