Monday, February 28, 2011

Cigarette, Anyone? No? Then How About a Gun for Baby?

What were we thinking? Whoa up--no, no, no! It's more like, what were THEY thinking?! Don't rope me into these astonishing and staggeringly unbelievable advertisements! These ads were definitely from a different generation with enormously different attitudes and standards and mores and etiquette and rules and morals and just about everything else that is contained in these ads. Hey! The worst my generation ever gave the world was a toothy but wholesome brother-sister act and the Brady Bunch. Oh, and also the mullet. (Two out of three ain't bad.) Oh, alright. There was also disco. And stirrup pants. But, hoo boy! We did NOT go around peddling heroin in family newspapers, I can tell you that! That was somebody else's generation. Grandma? Grandpa? You've got some 'splainin' to do:

Click on images to make them slightly larger.
Believe me, you'll want to read the fine print.




















5 comments:

Lisa said...

My jaw is on the floor...these are unbelievable!

Melissa said...

Oh my GOSH! WHAT GEMS! Hilarious. I wonder which of today's ads will be considered taboo in thirty years!

I had a friend who had a theory that in thirty or so years soda would be the next unthinkable habit. I hope I'm not alive if that ever happens! :)

Jordan said...

Kind of makes you wonder about those "good old days" doesn't it. Sure we may have been at the top of our game but we were also a bunch of sexist and racist smokers addicted to pain killers, lard, and sugar. Wait, what years am I talking about?....sounds kind of like today doesn't it.

Jordan said...

Just to clarify, I'm not pointing fingers directly at anyone. I just think that we often forget things like this in favor of a image from A White Christmas. I'm sure the same will happen 50 years from now when we all congratulate ourselves on Obama's election or some other petty thing like that, while over looking the bigoted and misogynistic pop culture that is so prevalent today. We aren't as different as we'd like to think. I don't think we'll ever learn our lesson.

The Morris Family said...

I'm happy because I eat lard too! :)

These are priceless!