Monday, February 14, 2011

I HEART Pink Hearts!






Aren't these just the cutest little treats ever? C'mon! They're pink! They're hearts! They're tiny! They're adorable! Wait. Pink? Hearts? Tiny? Adorable? Sounds like I just described Dave's favorite pair of pants. HEY NOW!

Anywaaaaaaay, back to the treats. With hardly any effort at all (no foolin'), you too can make these sweet little treats and then wow all of the local high school kids with your ersatz culinary talents. Swell, huh! Just shove this mess of sugar off onto your teenager and insist (punctuated with a foot stomp) that he take them to school to spread the LUV around. If my through-the-grapevine source is at all reliable, the LUV was spread around and appreciated by the darling ladies who lunch and the cool dudes who munch every day with my own cool dude. (Poor Christian. The things his momma makes him do . . . .)



Hi-ho! Hi-ho! It's off to school we go!
Whistle, whistle, whistle, whistle!
Hi-ho! Hi-ho!




So, I'm sure you all know this song and dance, but here it is in living color:

Pretty in Pink Treats

3 T butter
40 large strawberry flavored marshmallows
1 t. vanilla extract
5 cups crispy rice cereal*
1 cup white chocolate morsels

Place butter and marshmallows in a large microwavable bowl. Microwave for 60-90 seconds. (My microwave is some sort of monster with wattage a-go-go, so I set mine for only 60 seconds.) When marshmallows have sufficiently poofed and butter has melted, remove from microwave and stir to combine. Stir in vanilla extract. Add cereal and white chocolate morsels and stir until all is coated well with marshmallow mixture. Turn out into a 9X13 pan that has been buttered or sprayed with cooking spray. Spray a bit of cooking spray on hands and pat the mixture to fill the pan. Allow to cool slightly then cut into hearts with an adorable heart-shape cookie cutter. My own adorable heart-shape cookie cutter is about 2".

*The traditional recipe calls for 6 cups of cereal, but that turns this whole glob into the Sahara Desert (IMHO)
, so I go with only 5 cups. Makes a big diff. In a very good way.


OOH! IMPORTANT! Be sure to save the leftover scraps for a little sneak-a-treat. The beauty of sneak-a-treats is that no calories are contained in leftover scraps, right? Especially if eaten while standing at the kitchen sink.




NOW! DO YOU WANT SOMETHING EVEN BETTER? I don't hear you! DO YOU WANT SOMETHING EVEN BETTER? C'mon, let me really hear it! DO YOU WANT SOMETHING EVEN BETTER?!!! Now you're talkin'.

Brace yourselves.

Switch out the strawberry flavored marshmallows for chocolate swirled marshmallows (betcha I've got your attention now), and use milk chocolate morsels instead of the white chocolate morsels, and holy cats, we have a winner! Ding! Ding! Ding! Honest to pete, merely the smell of these makes me giddy with thoughts that I've died and gone to fake chocolate heaven. Unfortunately, our stash of this version didn't last long enough for a picture nor for a trip to the local high school. Don't get your knickers in a knot though; I'm going to whip up another batch of them soon and will be foisting them off onto the teen lunching set cuz they're so bodda-bing easy. So, Christian? Just a heads up there, sport.
Christian? Um, Hi-ho? Christian?


Can't you almost smell that fake chocolate LUV?





6 comments:

Jenni Elyse said...

Those are adorable! I also love that you used strawberry marshmallows to make them pink.

What do you do with the excess treats? With cookie dough, you can keep rolling it out and cutting it. But, I'd think the treats would be hard to do that.

Beth said...

What a fun yummy treat! Happy Valentines Day!

Deon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deon said...

Jenni, yeah, it wouldn't really work to try to reshape the leftover scraps because the mixture does eventually get less pliable. I try to cut the hearts out as close together as possible, and then I just take the little leftovers and pile them all mumble-jumble on a plate. They do get gobbled up, believe you me :)

The Morris Family said...

I wish this post had been posted on Sunday instead of Monday. Addison's teachers would have gotten a kick out of these little heart shaped treats! Oh well, there is always next year. And believe me, Addison has already seen this post and we WILL be making them next year!

Where do yo come up with these brilliant ideas? I think I need to have you as a neighbor so you can make me look good to my kids! :)

Dave said...

I can't tell if you are making fun of my pants, or not...