Monday, March 21, 2011

St. Patrick's Day Redux




Darn that Daniel Quinn. Ah, well. What can you do. So, here we go, second verse, same as the first . . .



Unfortunately, Christian was especially late getting out of bed on St. Patrick's day. This mess o'Charmin did not help matters. At all.




It's the ol' cereal switcheroo inside the boxes.



"Daniel Quinn was here!" {Scary smiley face}









To help nourish us after cleaning up after that heap o'mess left by That Darn Daniel Quinn (that's his full name now--That Darn Daniel Quinn, no longer simply Daniel Quinn--I just made that decision, right here, right now; hope he likes it), I made this fancy schmancy bread roll-up thingy (look down yonder for pics and the recipe). I thought it was an appropriate recipe to make after cleaning up that heap o'mess left by That Darn Daniel Quinn because, after all, it does contain green. And, we're all about going for the green during the season of That Darn Daniel Quinn. Just ask the Tupperware containers in the back of my refrigerator. I've got that green thing covered, AND HOW!

Hey? Just an FYI for anyone who may have the pleasure of dining at our home: You may want to put 1-800-222-1222* on your speed dial. Why? Because I'm a thoughtful hostess. And I care. About you. And your health. And avoiding a potential lawsuit.

*Utah Poison Control Center



Leprechaun Log
(Just made that up! I know! Dud.)

12 frozen rolls, thawed and risen
10 oz. frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed-to-its-last-breath dry
1 cup Monterey jJack cheese (I used mozzarella, don't hate me)
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon butter, melted
2-3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Spray counter top lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Combine rolls together and roll into a 10x14-inch rectangle. In a bowl, combine spinach, Monterey Jack cheese, egg and onion. Spread spinach mixture over dough to within 1/2-inch of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Place seam side down on a large, sprayed baking sheet. Brush with butter and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise 30-45 minutes. Remove wrap and bake at 350°F 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.














7 comments:

Ashley said...

Oooh, I've been wondering where that recipe disappeared to in all of my cookbooks and recipes written on scraps of paper! Jordan will be so excited that we've found it again, thanks to That Darn Daniel Quinn!

The other day I googled Daniel Quinn, because I had no idea whether he was a famous fictional leprechaun, or a purely Sagers invention (having been the recipient of his pranks my whole life. He turned our milk green, too, TDDQ!)...

The search "Daniel Quinn" turned up a famous American writer. The search "leprechaun Daniel Quinn" turned up your blog as the second link! Must be a Sagers tradition.

Lisa said...

Every day's a holiday with Deon! (you and Mary Poppins)

Gwyl said...

That giant bread stick looks real good. :-)

Remind me to tell you a story about bread on the counter some day.

ckm said...

How fun!

Jenni Elyse said...

I love that Daniel Quinn dyed your milk green! I haven't had that done in a long time. I might have to send out recruitment notices for my own Daniel Quinn.

Your leprechaun log looks really yummy. I may have to try making it some time.

Beth said...

I love all the pranks going on in your home for St Pat's day! I can't wait to hear Gwyl's story about bread on the counter, or maybe I should be afraid!

Melissa said...

Yu-hu-hum! That looks delish!

Is there anything your family doesn't celebrate? I want to live in your neighborhood! (I'll let you keep your house...but I'm sure fun just OOZES out and around the block!)