Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Love/Hate Relationship



WARNING! You will probably love me (yay!) and then hate me (boo!) after reading this post. But remember, you are the only one in charge of your own happiness. "People are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be." --Abraham Lincoln. What I'm trying to say here, boys and girls, is don't hate me! Because then you will probably be unhappy, and it will be your own ding dong fault.

Okay. Where were we? Oh, yeah. You agreed not to hate me. Now, let's continue, shall we?

I have a dessert recipe here that will Knock! Your! Socks! Off! yet is as easy as pie to make. Easier. Since it is so delish and divine yet so simple to make, you will probably find yourself cursing me under your breath even as you indulge in batch after batch after batch . . . . (Hence the whole love me/hate me deal. Are you getting that now?)

But, hey! Don't blame me! I'm just trying to be all charitable and such by sharing. "Because I have been given much, I too must give . . . " and all that niceness. Right? So, I'm giving you this:


Nutella-Mallow Pillow Pockets
Serves 8

1 package puff pastry, 2 pastry sheets thawed
1 cup Nutella spread
1 cup mini marshmallows
1 whole egg whisked with 1 T water
Granulated sugar
Powdered sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut each square of pastry into four equal sized pieces. Spread a couple of tablespoons of Nutella onto the center of each pastry leaving 1/2 inch border around the edges. Top each square with about 12-15 mini marshmallows; fold squares to form triangles. Crimp edges firmly with the tines of a fork. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until pastry turns golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool for five minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or drizzle with chocolate sauce. Hoozah!










Believe me when I beat it into your head with a jar of Nutella that you will LOVE me if you make these! But I'll tell you what--you will DESPISE me if you don't use a silpat or a piece of parchment when baking because you will be spending the next year of your life scraping burned, hardened, sticky, stubborn marshmallow off of your baking pan. Not that I would know anything about that . . . .

Who loves me now?

*Recipe courtesy of Picky Palate

5 comments:

Morris Family said...

Oh my goodness, how I want those! I HATE that we can't have anything as wonderful as Nutella in our house anymore. Thanks to an adorable little girl's tree nut allergies. Though, I am hoping that her grandma reads this post and feels so bad for me that she makes some at her house and offers me one! :)

Lisa said...

I do! But please give me more detail about the pastry puff thingamajiggies....aka brand? are they in that section with the abandoned babies??!!!

Christian said...

Haha! Lisa, those poor abandoned babies are such a startling sight!

The puff pastry sheets are made by Pepperidge Farms, and they are in a long rectangular box in the freezer section, right next to the frozen pie crusts.

Deon said...

And that was me commenting, by the way. Christian loves the puff pastry, but I'm pretty sure he's clueless as to where one would find the puff pastry at our local market. He is the one who spied the very first abandoned baby, however. He's a great shopping buddy :D

Beth said...

I still love you! It sounds like I will be making these and sneaking them to Jen! I have been hearing the scuttle butt about how yummy nutella is . . . and addictive, so I have been keeping my distance. But hey, I'm willing to take one for the team!