Monday, August 01, 2011

This One's For You, Harry!



Yesterday, July 31, was Harry Potter's birthday! I know that every single one of you celebrated, right?!!! It also happens to be Harry's brilliant creator's birthday too. Wow! How'd that happy coincidence happen, I wonder?

We are huge Potter fans at this house, and in honor of Harry's birthday, we whipped up some delicious butterbeer and settled in to watch the first movie in the Harry Potter series. (Whoooo boy, Daniel, Rupert and Emma have obviously been taking some very intense acting lessons from somebody like Lee Strasberg or Uta Hagen or some such old geezers since that debut movie; bless their hearts, those kids did think they were hot stuff back in the day, didn't they.)

This particular butterbeer recipe is a simplified version of others I have come across, but I'd wager a guess that even those snarky Slytherins would get their robes all in knots over this concoction. I do realize that the real butterbeer, the butterbeer that Harry, Hermione and Ron drink in Diagon Alley, has a touch of, er, shall we say, intoxicant (to put it delicately), but we choose to leave that particular element out of our batch of butterbeer. It was Sunday, after all. Sheesh, you guys.

BUTTERBEER!
Makes 1 serving

One 12 oz. can cream soda
1 teaspoon butter
2 tablespoons butterscotch topping
1/2 cup quality vanilla ice cream

Pour soda into microwavable bowl or large measuring cup. Add butter. Microwave on high for approximately 2-3 minutes, depending on your microwave. Stir. In the bottom of a mug add the butterscotch topping. Pour soda mixture over butterscotch. Drop a scoop of ice cream on top. Stir mixture to blend. Knock it back with a handful of Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Bean, and go nuts!


Guess what, boys and girls? You're in luck! As an additional treat to celebrate Harry's birthday, I tip my hat to him and his ability to speak parseltongue (thank you, Voldemort) by giving you this video to creep you out for the rest of your day. Yes, yes. I know. You can thank me when you see me. And, I just know you will. Thank me, that is. Ssssssssssseeeeeeeeeee here:

4 comments:

Jenni Elyse said...

Can you believe I've never tried butterbeer before? What kind of Harry Potter fan am I? I'll have to try your recipe.

PS: I didn't think the stuff sold in Hogsmeade contained spirits. Did I read that wrong or just assume it was alcohol-free because it was served to minors?

Lisa said...

Do you have plans to visit the Harry Potter theme park? Hermana Coco made me promise we would not go without her!

Deon said...

Jenni, I can't say for sure, but I always suspected there was a touch of alcohol in Rowling's butterbeer because it is described as giving the drinkers a warm, tingly feeling. Also, Winky gets a bit tipsy from drinking a lot of the butterbeer, so I'm thinking there was just enough alcohol in it to souse a house elf :D

Lisa, I would LOOOOOOOOOVE to go to the Harry Potter theme park! It is kind of a secret dream of mine. So! Missy! Are you reading the books yet? C'mon! Do it! Do it! Do it! (They get better and better, so don't shrug them off after the first one!)

Ashley said...

Oooh, I can personally attest that that butterbeer is to die for! My tummy felt so warm and full after drinking it. Liquid gold!