Saturday, December 03, 2011

The Annual Ricks Cousin Roundup at Christmas


Right off the bat, let it be known that I am not in this photograph.  Sad, I know.  I had yet to burst onto the scene and reek havoc in this huge family.  This photograph was taken circa December, 1959, at the home of my maternal grandparents, Peter and Emily Ricks, in Rexburg, Idaho.  If you squint very hard and cover your left eye and crank your head just so, you can see my grandfather and grandmother peeking out from behind their grandchildren, just right of center.  The rest of this crowd consists of four (possibly five) of my siblings, as well as a mere fraction of my Ricks cousins.  (This is just the very tip of the Ricks cousins iceberg, FYI.)  My oldest sister is the big-grin girl standing second from the left in an orange top with three buttons and a plaid skirt; my oldest brother is kneeling near my oldest sister's knee wearing a plaid shirt and holding some sort of toy in his mouth (what IS that?); my other older sister is two kids to my oldest brother's left and is wearing a light blue collared dress and sporting big, wide, brown eyes; another older brother is on the front row on the right with his head turned looking with great concern at some whiney kid; and, yet another older brother quite possibly could be that curly-headed baby in blue on the front row, second from the left, looking at my oldest brother who is holding that odd toy in his mouth (what IS that?).  But, we’re not really sure that's him.  Could be, but, nobody’s willing to swear to it on the Ricks Family Bible.  


Just a guess, but I would venture to say Buddy Holly eyeglasses were all the rage that particular year . . . .






No names have been used in order to protect the innocent.  Or the guilty.  Whichever the case may be. :D

6 comments:

Beth said...

Too stinkin' cute! I can't believe that I was able to pick out all the siblings without your notes! I hadn't read down far enough in the post to see that you had! Your oldest brother still has odd toys, if he still chews on them, he does it when there are no cameras around!

Lisa said...

This is amazing and should definitely be a part of "google images"! BTW, are you related to Jody Ricks aka Plowman?

Deon said...

Lisa, yes, Jody and I figured out that we both hail from Thomas E. Ricks (as in Ricks College). I'm almost certain we also discovered we hail from the same wife out of his five! I know! Helloooo!

Lindsay said...

i have no idea what that toy is (since my dad is one of the older brothers in this picture i was nowhere near existence when this picture was taken) but i have to say, it looks a lot like a fake mustache and, thus, i approve.

Melissa said...

I still have a hard time believing this era ever existed! Doesn't it just seem like something Hollywood created?!

Amazing photo find, friend!

Ashley said...

I love stuff like this.