Sunday, February 26, 2012

F.R.I.D.A.Y. and Missing Mom


Our F.RI.D.A.Y. frolics and festivities weren't nearly as frolicky nor as festive this week as we were heartbreakingly missing my mom from our group.  Her high-energy wit and banter and relentless teasing of the waitstaff made these little afternoon tete-a-tetes something quite special, I'll tell ya.  But, I'll bet my bottom dollar that Mom is carrying on with her famous wisecracks and bon mots, dishing it out to some heavenly/angelic food server who is dressed in the standard-issue white flowing gown and halo, complete with name tag and armful of menus--roller skates optional.  And!!!  This I also know without a doubt:  Mom would somehow, somewhere, some way, find a Rexburg connection with said heavenly/angelic waitstaff, and that would thrill her 'til the cows came home!  She was proud of her roots!!!

Just look at these two handsome, handsome men!  
Good grief, could a mama be any luckier?
(Aldolpho is looking pretty spiffy too.  See him?)   







Ahhh.  This is harder than I thought . . .




A few things I have concluded during this time of my mom's passing:  

*Take advantage now of the time you have with those whom you most cherish  

*You will never regret being kind to them  

*Our own time is the most precious gift we can give to anyone 

*Listen with patience

*Learn from the wisdom

*Always express your love at each encounter--WITHOUT FAIL

Happily, I have generally followed my own above advice and have only a few regrets which now prick at me.  But only a few.  I was so blessed to have a mother who was patient enough with me to allow me to learn these truths.  I am so grateful for every day, every hour, every moment I have had with my mom.  


There is a lesson in that for each one of us, I would think. 







Our last F.R.I.D.A.Y. foolery.  {Yes, on a Thursday.  Again.}
That's my mom!
And, I love her so!!!




2 comments:

Lisa said...

I knew that first Friday lunch would be a tough one.

Melissa said...

I'm going to be singing, "Someday you'll find it, the Rexburg connection..." all day. So - I'll be thinking of you and your mom all day! :)

I needed your advice. Thanks for sharing!

XOXO