Wednesday, February 08, 2012

A Rootin' Tootin' Good Time!

Sean helped me make the following recipe of Baked Buffalo Chicken Taquitos for that "big day" of watching awesome television commercials which were, unfortunately, interrupted by that pesky Super Bowl game thingy.  Sheesh, must they do that EVERY year?


When Dave asked me last week who I was favoring to win the Super Bowl, I told him the Saints--not that I particularly like the Saints, its just that I thought they were one of the teams playing in the big game, and I wanted to sound like I was hip with it all.  Dave paused, blinked, then gently said, "Wellllll, that's too bad.  The game is between the New England Patriots and the New York Giants."  Oh.  See?  I'm only in this thing for the commercials and to possibly heckle the lame-o half-time show.  (As if I could do any better myself.)  (Oh. And, what did you think of that "salute" from MIA, btw?  Hellohhhh!)  


As it turns out, I ended up rooting for the New York Giants because that's who the rest of the gang was rooting for, and a family that roots together loots together.  No!  That's not right.  It's a family that roots together hoots together.  Right?  Aw, gee.  What is it?  A family that roots together toots together.  Oh, bother.  Our team won, and that means we're champions cuz, well, our team won! Am I right, you super-intense armchair quarterbacks who did absolutely nothing to help your team win, but will now brag for the next 365 days about your team winning?


Anywho!  The taquitos turned out great!  Try these.  Right away.



BAKED BUFFALO CHICKEN TAQUITOS
TasteandTellBlog.com


Ingredients
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1/8 cup buffalo sauce
  • 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
  • 1/8 cup blue cheese crumbles
  • 1 can (12.5-ounce) Swanson® Premium Chunk Chicken Breast in Water, drained
  • 8 8-inch flour tortillas*
  • coarse Kosher salt
Instructions
  • Preheat the oven to 350°F.
  • In a bowl, combine the cream cheese and buffalo sauce. Mix well. Stir in the Monterey jack cheese, blue cheese crumbles and chicken; mix well.
  • Place 2-3 tablespoons of the mixture down the center of each tortilla and roll up. If needed, microwave the tortillas for about 30 seconds to make them soft and pliable enough to roll. Place on a baking sheet. Spray the taquitos with cooking spray, then sprinkle with coarse salt.
  • Bake in the preheated oven for 17-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with blue cheese dressing for dipping, if desired.
*If possible, use uncooked flour tortillas.  Just throw the raw tortillas in a hot, dry skillet for about ten seconds on each side to cook them up before filling them.  (You'll feel like you're working at Cafe Rio and might even picture yourself basking in the warm sun south of the border. ¿Qué pasa, dude?)  Sean and I used both kinds, and the raw tortillas, as always, were so much, much, much better than regular flour tortillas.  Try these.  Right away.


And now, here are a few of my favorite Super Bowl commercials.  Please enjoy:


























Which Super Bowl commercials float your boat, darlin'?

1 comment:

Morris Family said...

My favorite commercial was actually from "The Voice" starring Betty White. I honestly think that I peed a little from laughing so hard.
Also, I am for sure going to try those Taquitos at our house. We love the Baked Taquitos from Our Best Bites, that I am sure these will become our new favorite!