Friday, March 16, 2012

Elder Sagers Is Officially On the Lord's Errand (and I survived to tell the tale)

Well, the deed is done!  Christian is now a full-time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Dark suit, spiffy hair cut, white shirt and tie, name tag, and excitement and enthusiasm to beat the band.  And, me?  I'm still alive and kicking, despite my very, very tender feelings and achy heart (tread lightly around me for a wee bit yet, k?) as I say goodbye for two years.  Wait!  Did I just write two years?  Two whole years???  It's just now hitting me.  Two. Whole. Years.  Nurse!  Nurse!  Oxygen!  STAT!  Breathe in.  Breathe out.  Breathe in.  Breathe out.  Two years.  Two years, you say?  Jeepers.  Two years?


Hey! This oxygen is not working!  INNER CONFLICT ALERT!  INNER CONFLICT ALERT!  I swear, people!  I cannot think of any other scenario where a person might feel the ultra! extreme! ecstatic! feelings vs. the ultra! extreme! heartache! feelings of an adoring mama who sends her young one off on a mission.  I'm off the charts on both ends of the spectrum with this one, guys.   


Seriously though, I would not want Christian to be doing anything different with his life right now.  I am sooooooooo proud of him because this is what he has worked toward his entire 19 years.  He has labored with all of his might to prepare himself for this very moment, and finally it has come.  He is so ready.  He is so willing.  He is so able.  Very abundantly so.   


He will make a difference in this world, that boy.  You mark my words:  Great things are in store for that young man.  And, I'm not just whistlin' dixie here, folks.  Keep a watch out for my Christian.  You'll see.  (Hey!  I'm his mom, and I'm allowed to be as proud as a peacock of my kids so, no fair judging.)




Last goodbyes from Ashley and Kimball.  Kimball loves his Uncle Christian very much and loves to go around chanting, "Sweden 2012!  Sweden 2012!"  Kimball definitely has some mighty fine missionary legacies to look to.  BTW, that darling haircut of Ashley's has garnered more oohs and aahs than The Rachel haircut back in the day!  Just, FYI.





Quite the handsome man, no?



Quite the handsome men, no?




Since Dave was conducting the meeting at Christian's farewell, he was able to say a few words at the end.  He related that while in kindergarten or first grade, Christian came home with a report card upon which the teacher had written, "Christian is a good boy."  Dave said that he can testify that in every sense and meaning of the word, Christian is a good boy.  My heart just about exploded at that point.




Christian is truly an extraordinary young man.  How unbelievably blessed am I to say that he is one of my very best friends?  Best of friends, we. 









I guarantee you will not find two prouder parents anywhere.  Gar-own-teed.






The universe was smiling upon us as we had the crazy-happy luck to run into one of Christian's friends from his very beloved BYU FHE group.  She graciously wielded the camera for this one.  Thank you, Sam!





Ever wondered what Heaven looks like?  Well, here ya go.





Exemplary men, all.  And, dapper to boot!  






Last meal on the "outside" at the very famous and best greasy spoon joint around--Ripples.  Anyone seen "The Phone Booth"?  












Here's the ol' drop-kick-your-missionary-out-of-the-car-at-the-curb scene.  Actually, it was probably better than lingering too long.  In all likelihood, I really would have been in a fetal position if we had not been shooed along by those beefy MTC bouncers.



And, speaking of best friends . . . yeah.
This mama is so touched by the relationship these brothers have with one another.  Much respect, admiration and love floats between these two.  
Quite amazing, really. 





One last parting shot.  It was only moments after this that I sat huddled in the passenger seat of our car with my vision blurred by tears but with a smile firmly in my heart.  My extraordinary son is in the Lord's hands, and I know that He will keep Christian in His loving and ever-watchful care, just for me.


If by some twisted circumstance of fate you just so happened to miss this the first ninety-nine times around, let me just say again how much I love this guy!  Honest to pete.  I love him so!!!












Outtake with Kimball doing his "I'm fake-grinning so hard right now that I can't even see" smile.  Couldn't resist throwing this in here.

8 comments:

Debbie M. said...

Bless your heart, Deon. Thank you so much for allowing us to be part of your goodbyes. So tender.

Gwyl said...

That is a nice story and the photos are wonderful too. It looked like he really enjoyed the "last meal"!

He is going to have the time of his life.

Lisa said...

I am so proud of you.

Morris Family said...

What a handsome young man!

I think it is awesome how much your children like each other. I hope and pray that my girls will still be the best of friends in 10, 20, 30, etc. years.

You look like you were holding up considerably well in your photos. Good job Mama!

PS. I love your shoes! If you feel the need for some retail therapy, I am a size 6 please!

Jenni Elyse said...

What a moving and wonderful post. Loved the pictures and I can tell you are proud as proud can be. Can't wait to hear some updates from Christian as he goes forth. When does he leave the MTC for Sweden?

PS--I love your outfit! It's so, so cute!

Deon said...

Jenni, we don't know yet when Christian will leave for Sweden, but we're pretty sure his MTC stay will be two months. I'm thinking he will be jetting off around May 15-ish? That's when I'll really hit that reality wall :O

Glad you like the outfit; it was such a gorgeous spring day that day, and I felt that the big, humungous flowers were appropriate. Ha!

Dave said...

What a wonderful week it has been! Having Ashley home with little Kimball was such as treat (I just can't get enough of that kid!) and being all together for Christian's farewell on Sunday was something I will cherish forever.

I could not be more proud of our children. They have been such a great example to me throughout their lives. Though I am not nearly as eloquent in expressing my feelings for my dear missionary as his mother is, let me just say that I am very blessed to have been Christian's father for the past 19 years, and I am so very proud of all he has accomplished and the wonderful choices he as made. I know that he will follow with exactness the great example that has been set for him by his closest friend and brother Sean (I hope you can all tell how much I adore my family).

Thanks to all friends and family for your love and support of us over these many years. We love you all!

Melissa said...

As you know, I have been away - and I am sorry I missed this post. You are an angel mom, and have raised your boys to be amazing young men. I hope you are starting to "adjust" the best that any loving mother can!

XOXO