Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Snarfing Down Some Onomatopoeias



So!  I see that you survived my oh-so-very-clever (really? clever? um, no) "Ode To Sugar" read here.  And you came back!  Wow!  I. am. impressed!  Give yourself a sticky little lollipop for being willing to subject yourself to even more tiring nonsense by showing up at this blog yet again!  But, I'm glad you did because hopefully that means you noticed that I've been doing some mighty fine 'splainin' about that pile of candy spilling all over my house.  Aaaand?  It's really not as bad as you thought, right?  Right? Well, not quite as bad as you thought.  Yes, it is bad.   

All right!  I admit it.  I am a sucker (zing!) for candy!  The evil witch in "Hansel and Gretel" and I are like THIS.  Tight.  We get it.  Candy draws a crowd.  Candy is pretty.  Candy looks happy. Candy is fun to say.  C-c-c-c-c-aaaaaaaaandy.  See?  The mere pronunciation of it is delicious.  It makes me feel the need to completely surround myself with it.  However, pronouncing the word candy doesn't even come close to the deliciousness of saying the word cake.  Or, cookies.  Or, popcorn.  Say it with me, people--pawpah-korn.  

Mmmm, I love me a good, old fashioned onomatopoeia. Which, technically, these words probably are NOT.  I don't know.  I'm no linguist.  But, if you say them with just the right guttural sound in your throat, they'll make you absolutely rabid with desire for a freshly baked cookkkkkie (see how it just rattles around in your mouth so tastily?) or a big mess o' German chocolate keck!  Oooh, and that reminds me of this hilarity!  Luuuuuv Franck Eggelhoffer and his $1200 keck--such a classic.



*I cracked up when I saw the qualifier in the bottom right-hand corner of the record album cover shown at the top of this post:  NON-BREAKABLE IN NORMAL USE.  I guess what the manufacturer is saying is that if I choose to use this record album to hit a home intruder over his head, there is no guarantee that it won't break?  What about using it to play Frisbee golf? What about if I try to get crafty with it to make a nifty molded candy dish for our hep-cat music room?  Ah.  Apparently, the guarantee clause doesn't cover creative genius-ness such as that. 


on·o·mat·o·poe·ia
  [on-uh-mat-uh-pee-uh, ‐mah-tuh] Show IPA

noun
1.
the formation of a wordas cuckoo, meow, honk,  or boom,  byimitation of a sound made by or associated with itsreferent.
2.
a word so formed.
3.
the use of imitative and naturally suggestive words forrhetorical, dramatic, or poetic effect.



1 comment:

Dave said...

I love the album cover (brings back such wonderful childhood memories). By the way, I've got a birthday coming up and would like nothing more than a spectacular keck to celebrate!!! :)