Saturday, May 26, 2012

"And Then I Saw Your Face, Now I'm a Believer! Yeah! . . . "




" . . . not a trace of doubt in my mind . . . "  Hey!  Whoa up!  Does this mean that I have to pay royalties to The Monkees?  If so, then I take it all back.


Anywho, I stumbled across this very interesting take on faces and the screwiness of the human mind.  From the website Petalpixel.com:  

"If you ever create a slideshow of portraits, you might want to avoid showing them aligned side-by-side with a gap in between. The videos [ linked below] show a crazy optical illusion that researchers have dubbed the 'Flashed Face Distortion Effect'. By flashing ordinary portraits aligned at the eyes, the human brain begins to compare and exaggerate the differences, causing the faces to seem hideous and ogre-like." Researcher Matthew Thompson writes,
Like many interesting scientific discoveries, this one was an accident. Sean Murphy, an undergraduate student, was working alone in the lab on a set of faces for one of his experiments. He aligned a set of faces at the eyes and started to skim through them. After a few seconds, he noticed that some of the faces began to appear highly deformed and grotesque. He looked at the especially ugly faces individually, but each of them appeared normal or even attractive.

See if you become as furrrrrreeeeeaked as I was:



 I am pretty darn sure I won't be able to sleep tonight . . . 


3 comments:

Melissa said...

Now THAT was strange!!

Gwyl said...

Bizarre! :-)

Morris Family said...

That is so insanely bizarre!