Wednesday, May 09, 2012

The Grand Poobah Pie!




As promised in my last post, I now bestow upon your floured culinary heads the recipe for the grand poobah of pies!


Are you listening?  You should all rush to your respective kitchens and try this recipe; it will send you over the moon!  Seriously.  It is like one ginorm chocolate chip cookie with a lot less flour and a lot more butter.  That should hook you right there.  It is also Dave's favorite pie, and I must admit to using it on him as a distraction when:  1) I'm wanting to buy something that I know will raise Dave's eyebrows, or 2) when I'm asking for forgiveness after I buy something that I know will raise Dave's eyebrows.  I do use that particular pie tactic with discretion, however.  I certainly don't want its charms to wear thin now that I have a good system going and all . . . 


GRAND POOBAH TOLL HOUSE PIE

Doesn't this presentation look just so cute and artsy-smartsy?  Why, thank you.





Whip the eggs into a frenzy






 Add just a smidgeon of flour






Next comes some white sugar followed by . . .  






. . . some brown sugar






Mix that goodness together until smooooooth, 
just like a Barry White song 






Okay. Remember!  I'm only the messenger here!  Don't shoot me for simply relaying to you that you will now be adding a swimming pool's worth of butter to this party in a bowl





Gotta have chocolate chips if you're going to have a chocolate chip pie!  (I figured that one out all by myself; I am so proud.) 






This is the point in the recipe where we may end up parting ways.  I use a pre-made crust for my pie!  *Gasp*  Sucre bleu!  I know!  If you want to go to the work of making a home-made crust, you have my respect and my blessing.  I, however, usually wish to save my temper tantrums for bigger and better issues rather than fight with a made-from-scratch-but-it-didn't-turn-out-yet-again pie crust.  But that's just me. 







It may not be much to look at, but I promise that this pie will have you doing whatever it takes to get a second slice.  Just ask Dave--my bathrooms have never sparkled more. Just kidding.  
(Psst:  Between you and me, not really kidding.  Try it; it works.)  
Oh, hey Dave!  Heh. Heh.







Toll House Pie
Uh, excuse me, people?  Let's try that again . . .   
Award-Winning Grand Poobah Toll House Pie!
That's more like it.
INGREDIENTS:
2 eggs
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup butter, melted and cooled
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust
pie
DIRECTIONS:
1.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
2.
In a large bowl, beat the eggs until foamy. Add the flour, white sugar and brown sugar; beat until well blended. Blend in the melted butter. Stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts. Pour batter into one unbaked 9 inch pie shell.
3.
Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 1 hour. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.

5 comments:

Gwyl said...

Looks quite tasty. Save me a piece please!

Lisa said...

I love your instruction pictues! Very Pioneer Womanish! Can't wait to try it!

Melissa said...

I can't wait!!

Ashley said...

I could SO go for this right now! Why don't you make one and overnight it to me. I'll be waiting at the mailbox.

ckm said...

I remember eating this pie in "The Cannon Center" ... and I even got the recipe way back when ... It has been years since I have eaten or made it! Thanks for sparking my memory!