Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Mercy Me! PB Cookies Going Rogue!



"Holy mackerel, Ethyl, do I have some juicy, neighborly gossip for you!  You know that Sagers woman who lives up the street?  The one with the very serious Internet shopping habit?  Yeah.  Her.  Well, she's absolutely crossed the line this time.  She strayed from the straight and narrow peanut butter Hershey Kiss cookie path and went rogue!  YES!  She did!  I know!  If we don't stop this kind of behavior, you can kiss the respectability of this neighborhood GOOOO-BYE.  I know!  Spread the word!  LaVerna for sure needs to hear about this!  I never!  . . . " 



So, yeah.  Ya'll know the ridiculously easy peanut butter cookie recipe using only three ingredients and then topped with a delicious but boring Hershey Kiss, right?  Well, I threw a wrench into the works and switched things up just a tetch.  Not so much because I suddenly became fantastically creative, but because I had mounds and mounds of leftover candy.  Heh. Heh.  

Try this at home, boys and girls.  Look around your house and see what kinds of unusual toppers you can pop onto the tops of these cookies.  Make sure those unusual toppers are edible though.  My guess is that my leftover Peeps from two Easters ago just wouldn't cut it.  Just a guess though.  



Ridiculously Easy Peanut Butter Cookies
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
Chocolate candy for topping cookies

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl with a wooden spoon or with a hand mixer.  Personally?  I go with the hand mixer--it is much easier than fighting with that stubborn egg yolk.  (It sorta puts me in the mind of this.) Once mixture has come together, scoop out heaping teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheet, using both hands to smush dough together to form a ball.  Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for eight minutes.  Remove cookies from oven but leave cookies on the cookie sheet.  Immediately top cookies with your spectacularly unusual toppers.  Or, just go with the Hershey Kisses.  Either way, it's a win-win sitch.  If you are going to wrap the cookies with plastic wrap, etc., for gift giving (making you a very popular friend, btw), allow chocolate to melt slightly from heat of the cookies, then place cookies in the refrigerator for about five minutes to allow the chocolate to solidify again.  Otherwise, you'll be giving away a messy, albeit delicious, heap-o-goodness.

This is what you COULD use for your cookie toppers--as boring, humdrum, or dull as they may be.  (Although this picture does make one salivate just a little bit, doesn't it?  I just may be rethinking this whole thing, now that I see this . . .)







Or, you could turn your neighborhood on its ear and go for one of my brilliant choices!  Never mind that it was simply out of desperation to rid my house of all of this chocolate. Just don't pay any attention to that part.  Swooosh!  Wipe it right out of your brains.  Swooosh!  Gone?  Let's try that again.  Swooosh!  Whatev.














Yes, yes.  I KNOW I still have a lot of candy to plow through.  Stop spying on me through this photo.  I'm doing the best I can here, people.  I'll get to it, don't worry.  I have grand plans for all of those malt balls which you can see here, by the by.  Bet you'll wish you were one of my neighbors when that brilliant idea becomes a baked-good reality!  Hey!  If you were one of my neighbors, you and LaVerna could totally be gossip girl buddies at my expense! 


I'm not going to swear on Gideon's Bible or anything, but I do believe these cookies are gluten free.  FWIW.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

They not only look delicious but they also look beautiful with the varied chocolates plopped, I mean carefully placed on them. Good Job! President Uchtdorf would be pleased that you are creating beautiful things.

Morris Family said...

Have you ever tried Biscoff? You would be in absolutel heaven - considering it is practically sugar. I wonder if I could substiture Biscoff for the peanut butter in this recipe (seeing as how my child is allergic to the stuff and all).

They look delicious! I am hoping to see my personalized package in the mail soon! :)

Beth said...

I feel a sudden urge for chocolate with some peanut butter on the side! Jen is not kidding about the Biscoff! It is delish!

Dave said...

Trust me folks, these are the best! (and I have the weight to prove it!)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.