Friday, June 08, 2012

Get a hanky ready. Really. You'll want one. No, really. Jeepers, just bring the whole box.



There is a song from my childhood that has always been my favorite.  It is called, "My Heavenly Father Loves Me."  I simply adore it.  I have always adored it.  Here are the lyrics:


MY HEAVENLY FATHER LOVES ME
Words and Music by Clara W. McMaster, b. 1904
Whenever I hear the song of a bird
Or look at the blue, blue sky,
Whenever I feel the rain on my face
Or the wind as it rushes by,
Whenever I touch a velvet rose
Or walk by a lilac tree,
I'm glad that I live in this beautiful world
Heavenly Father created for me.

He gave me my eyes that I might see
The color of butterfly wings.
He gave me my ears that I might hear 
The magical sound of things.
He gave me my life, my mind, my heart: 
I thank him reverently
For all his creations, of which I'm a part.
Yes, I know Heavenly Father loves me.




You can hear it sung beautifully by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir here


Brace yourselves.  This is where the need for your entire box of Kleenex comes in.  My boys, my two, wonderful, generous boys, agreed to play this, my favorite childhood song, at my beautiful mother's funeral in February.  The performance was stunning.  And magical.  And heartbreaking.


Gaahhh.  Ooh, this is hard.


Much to my pleasure (I had secretly harbored this wish myself but didn't voice it), our bishop invited my two, wonderful, generous boys to again play my favorite childhood song at Christian's mission farewell.  That performance left me speechless.  And again, in tears.


Video recording in our chapel is not allowed out of reverence for our worship service, so I beseeched my two, wonderful, generous boys to once more play this piece after church that same day on our own piano just so I could have a lasting memory of one of the most moving and sacred and meaningful four minutes of my life.  Being the extraordinary men that they are, Sean and Christian kindly agreed.  

I treasure this video so, so much, not only because it is of one of my favorite songs, not only because it will forever remind me of my sweet mom, but mostly because it is played so tenderly by my two, wonderful, generous boys simply out of their love for me.  


I have felt heaven.  This is it.  Right here.


(Please forgive the crackling noise on the audio; I think it must be my camera's zoom toggle protesting against me trying to get artsy with it.  It could also very well be me trying desperately, but without success, to stifle the biggest ugly cry you've ever seen in your entire life.)


I CANNOT watch that without tears streaming down my face.  I thank you, my darling Sean and Christian.  I thank you for showing me what heaven is all about and for placing it right in the center of my heart.

6 comments:

Emily Ann said...

Oh Deon, thank you so much for sharing this. I was teary eyed before it even began. So beautiful.

Lindsay said...

what a beautiful arrangement played by 2 very talented young men.

Gwyl said...

Very very nice.

Lisa said...

This song has the same affect on me. There have been times when our granddaughters have sung it to me and the tears just roll down my face. This arrangement by your treasured boys is amazing. I don't know why but another song that does this to me is: "Jesus Once Was a Little Child". Thanks for bringing the Spirit to my day on this fine summer morn. Love you.

Melissa said...

That was beautiful. Thank you for sharing! The smile at the end is just priceless!

Beth said...

Beautiful!