Monday, September 10, 2012

A Childhood Rhyme

I remember when Ashley started kindergarten at the ripe old age of five (but going on ten intellectually--smart as a whip, that girl!) her teacher taught the class a little rhyme on the first day of school.  I had never heard the rhyme before (but then again, I was 20-something but intellectually going on five--my kids did NOT get their brains from me {boo}).

Anywho!  The little first-day-of-school rhyme went like this:

Make new friends,
But keep the old.
One is silver,
The other, gold.

A circle is round,
It has no end.
That's how long
I will be your friend.

So sweet.  

Last week, Dave and I had the very fabulous pleasure of meeting up with one of those long-time friends (I can't say "old friends" because she ain't old!) from our awesome Naperville days.  WARNING:  Sappiness ahead!  Those dear, dear friends from those Naperville days were my sanity, my lifeline, my family-away-from-family, and I will continue to love them all until the day I up and kick the bucket.  And beyond that.  

As Dave and I spent a couple of ours with darling Kaaren, we were reminded yet again of how blessed we are to have these friends of gold.  With all of our new friends in our friend cache, we're never going to let go of the old.


3 comments:

Lisa said...

How lovely! We, who were left behind, treasure YOU as well.

ckm said...

How wonderful! I too was able to connect with Kaaren while she was in CO. She is such an inspiration!

And you, my friend, are SILVER AND GOLD in my book!

Kathleen said...

That song is the girl scout song (not that I was ever in Girl Scouts but that's what I have heard from other Girl Scouts).