Friday, September 14, 2012

I Know It's Not Smoked Reindeer Cheese, But . . .




Christian with his icky yummy squeeze reindeer cheese!

Today, in honor of Christian's six-month anniversary of being on his mish (six months!  I know!--sometimes it feels like six months, sometimes it feels like six years, I won't lie), I decided to make a very traditional Swedish cookie as my way of feeling close to my awesome elder!

I just love this guy so doggone much, and I readily admit to missing him like the dickens.  I thought that by my making these cookies and thinking of him while firing up the ol' Kitchen Aid that I might not miss him so.  It worked.  Sort of.  Well, no it didn't.  I now actually miss him more than ever.  BUT!  We've got to remember that we have six months down!  And, Christian is so happy serving where he is serving and doing what he is doing, who am I to be a whiner about that?!  Det är underbart! 

These cookies were a cinch to make, and they turn out very much like a shortbread cookie.  The next time you are missing my darling Christian, you too may want to give these a go!

Drömkakor or Swedish Dream Cookies 
(Adapted from SAVEUR)
Makes 3 dozen

1 2/3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
8 tbsp or 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 Oetker vanilla sugar packets (9 grams each, 18 grams total; see image on right) (I didn't have this so I just dumped in a bunch of vanilla extract!)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
Heat oven to 300°F. In a small bowl, whisk together flour and baking soda; set aside. In a mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugars until pale and fluffy, 1–2 minutes. The butter/sugar mixture should stick evenly against the side of the bowl. No lumps. Add oil and mix until smooth. Add dry ingredients and stir until just combined.

Dromkakor or Swedish Dream Cookies
I'm going to convince myself that these turned out like they are supposed to; I truly have no idea.
Christian will be none the wiser!


2 comments:

Lisa said...

SIX MONTHS! Already? I am excited to have this recipe because I am Swedish, don't you know? Really, I am!

Em said...

SIX WHOLE MONTHS! Time flies! Especially while eating dessert :)