Tuesday, March 05, 2013

A Dearth of Blogging of Late


My darling friend, Lisa, mentioned on her blog the other day that she has seen a huge downturn in the amount of blogging going on among her friends, and I would have to say that I pretty much agree with her about that. I think one of the reasons for that trend is the plethora (ooh, vocabulary word alert!) of other social media platforms that everyone is using. We have Facebook! We have Twitter! We have Instagram! We have Pinterest! We have ChitChat! We have texting! We have smoke signals! (Ha! Just checking to see if you were paying attention.) 

The point is, sometimes blogging almost seems redundant after all of that, but I still like it because much more of the story or the big picture is given through a blog post than is told with a mere 140 characters in a tweety tweet. I also know for a fact that I have a few readers who don't do Facebook, etcetera, etcetera, so I do continue to do this for them as well.

As for me, one of the reasons my blogging has fallen off a bit lately is because I have been devoting a ton of my finite blogging energies on (big breath here) THIS nonsense. Yikes, people! What am I thinking? What am I doing? Heaven knows, I sure don't know. But that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Do you think blogging is going the way of the rotary phone?


4 comments:

Jenni Elyse said...

Honestly, I think it depends on the type of blogging. Book blogging, and other blogging with more of a niche, is still going rampant. But, personal blogging is dying down more and more. Hardly any of my friends continue to do it.

Lisa said...

Well for heavens sake! Who knew about you and Pinterest? Not me! But I certainly am glad I know now! What fun, you little diva, you! (and I am a die hard blogger, btw.)

Lindsay said...

i agree with the redundancy of social media at times. there have actually been times that i have refrained from posting on facebook because i know i would rather blog about something and no one is gonna want to read both. it has been a great way to get a little more traffic to the blog though. i can write the whole post and then link it on facebook

ckm said...

I rarely post on facebook. I ALWAYS post on our private family website hosted by myfamily.com which we have been using for nearly 15 years - it is my on-line journal. I try and post most of the things on my blog - life got really busy with a wedding and all. Sometimes I opt not to post it on our blog due to privacy. I didn't even keep up with my daily posts of our Christmas happenings. Sigh.