Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Mother-Daughter Garden Tea Party




I really love my calling in my church. I get the great fun of throwing what ultimately end up being big parties every other week for about a dozen 10 and 11-year-old girls (and a boatload of 8 and 9-year-old girls are often included too).

Together with three other leaders (and, let's not forget Dave {Dave is always wrangled into my shenanigans}), I recently hosted a lovely mother and daughter garden tea party for almost fifty beautiful mothers and darling daughters, complete with finger food, lemonade, crafted earrings made by the girls for their moms, and both the girls and moms wearing and then sharing something owned by their own mothers.

The highlight (that's questionable) of the evening was when I took my place to lead the girls in the Mother's Day song which we had gone through only twice more than two weeks prior, and I didn't realize until at least four or five bars into the song, that I was leading them in the wrong song! Gee whiz, people! I don't think I've ever seen a group of girls look more befuddled. It was actually kind of comical to look at their panicky faces.

In my defense, I had no lyrics in front of me, no songbook in front of me, we were singing a cappella so no piano intro, and I was all sorts of nervous in getting the beginning note just right, so I launched into the wrong Mother's Day song! Also in my defense, I am not musical. Not one smidge. Nada. Nothin'. Completely bereft in that department. The fact that I was leading them in the song at all qualifies as the eighth wonder of the world. 

For the record, here are the lyrics of the song the girls sang (after I had managed to make a spectacle of myself):


 I often go walking in meadows of clover,
And I gather armfuls of blossoms of blue.
I gather the blossoms the whole meadow over;
Dear mother, all flowers remind me of you.


O mother, I give you my love with each flower
To give forth sweet fragrance a whole lifetime through;
For if I love blossoms and meadows and walking,
I learn how to love them, dear mother, from you.




1 comment:

Lisa said...

Oh my word, girl, this is beyond loveliness! These girls are so lucky to have YOU! And I love a blog post that makes me laugh out loud....just picturing the singing! Love it!