
When I was a ratty little kid, my mom would sometimes let me stay up and watch The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. Sometimes Johnny would have a guest on his show who would perform a drum solo and cause Johnny and the audience to go absolutely nuts! It wasn't until I was quite a bit older that I realized the drummer was Buddy Rich, a legend in his own time.
Last night at his school's jazz band concert, our little Christian morphed into a modern-day Buddy Rich as he beat on those drums like a pro. In Sean's words, "Christian, you were really tight!" It is amazing to see kids who are 13 and 14 play sophisticated jazz music with such heart and soul, rather than just by the notes from the page of their music books. I was really feeling the bee-bop bee-bop! Christian was spectacular on percussion in the symphonic band's performances as well. It was truly a lovely musical evening.
No comments:
Post a Comment