Okay guys. So it just seems that it was yesterday that September 19th rolled around and brought us one of our favorite and much celebrated days of the year: Talk Like a Pirate Day! (Me landlubbers are scratchin' their noggins, thinking, "Since when have WE celebrated TLAPD? Humor me here, folks.) For the uninitiated, here are a few of the most basic terms to be used on TLAPD. Use them with a smile on your face and a parrot on your shoulder, if possible:
Ahoy! - "Hello!"
Avast! - Stop and give attention. It can be used in a sense of surprise, "Whoa! Get a load of that!" which today makes it more of a "Check it out" or "No way!" or "Get off!"
Aye! - "Why yes, I agree most heartily with everything you just said or did."
Aye aye! - "I'll get right on that sir, as soon as my break is over."
Arrr! - This one is often confused with arrrgh, which is of course the sound you make when you sit on a not too happy wasp. "Arrr!" can mean, variously, "yes," "I agree," "I'm happy," "I'm enjoying this rootbeer," "My team is going to win it all," "I saw that television show, it reeked!" and "That was a clever remark you or I just made." And those are just a few of the myriad possibilities of Arrr!
Shiver me timbers! If I don't want to get keelhauled by Capn Davey, Mad Dog Sean or Mr. Christian, I must be off to brew up some grog and fry up some critters for me motley crue soon to be pullin' up anchor and sloshin' ashore at the Sagers' Wooden Leg Inn. Step smartly now!
No comments:
Post a Comment