Sunday, August 17, 2008

When Life Gives you Lemons . . .


When life gave us this enormous zucchini from our very own prolific garden--not!, I decided to take a chunk of it and turn it into some lovely chocolate zucchini muffins. This zucchini was actually one of two (2) items we harvested this entire season-woohoo! Talk about expensive produce.
As a gift to the farm hands out there who are bound to have better luck with your zucchini harvest than we did (not too hard to do, I know, I know), I'll give you the recipe. Now you won't have to skulk around in the dead of night leaving your zucchini on your neighbors' doorsteps with the hopes that your produce is going to a good home.


Chocolate Zucchini Bread/Muffins

2 c. sugar
1 c. oil
3 eggs
2 c. grated zucchini
1 t. nutmeg
2 t. cinnamon
2 heaping T. cocoa
3 t. vanilla
3 1/2 c. flour
1/4 t. baking powder
1 t. soda
1 t. salt
1/2 c. nuts (optional)

Mix first four ingredients together in a large bowl with a wooden spoon. Add seasonings. Stir in flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Mix just until combined. Spoon into greased muffin tins or loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 20-25 minutes for muffins and 50-60 minutes for the bread, depending on the size of your loaf pan. Tops should spring back when touched.

Here is a picture of our garden today. Obviously, somebody (I'm not naming names) had had it with the weeds, er, I mean the garden and he gave it a dignified burial.

3 comments:

Jacque said...

HOW FUN!
I want a garden. You know, It will be great to learn how to garden when we have this "disaster" in the last days...
Good for you Deon!

Anonymous said...

I am excited to use your zucchini muffin recipe. This is the only way that I can get vegetables into my family's bellies! Ha ha!

Anonymous said...

Goodbye and good riddance! Next year we go to box gardening!