In honor of Earth Day yesterday, I made the herculean effort (whew! just typing "herculean" wore me down some . . .) to reduce my carbon footprint by actually declining a plastic bag at the checkout for my new DVDs (all neatly encased in lots and lots of plastic) at Borders, and I said no to a plastic bag for my purchase of a single sheet of stickers at Robert's, and I had the clerk reuse my cute pink bag with tissue paper at another store where I made an exchange. So. How did YOU do with reducing your carbon footprint on Earth Day yesterday? Can you top that? Oh, I know some of you may have walked miles to school or work instead of driving your gas guzzler, or perhaps you switched over to those superduper efficient light bulb thingys. Maybe you helped your kid make an Earth Day craft like this
Egg Carton Buggy Mobile to illustrate the value of recycling. (Although I did notice on the instructions that you must spray the Egg Carton Buggy Mobile with toxic acrylic sealer spray. Doesn't that just defeat the whole . . . oh never mind.) The point is, I did do SOMETHING, even if it was just saying no to a couple of plastic bags. Hey! I'm trying here, people.
Hoping this comic strip won't offend, here is one of the funnier Earth Day themed comics in yesterday's newspaper which, by the way, was absolutely replete with comics about Earth Day. My store clerks who were surprised to learn that yesterday was Earth Day must read a different section of the newspaper than me, like maybe the "world news" section or such. Ah well. To get the real hard-hitting news, one must turn to the comics section and ponder for a while.
1 comment:
Haha Deon! You're great! Good on you and your "herculean" (you're right, that does wear you down!) efforts!!
Post a Comment