I can hardly put into words the range of emotions I felt after watching the American Fork High School production of "Les Miserables." Let's just get this out of the way straight off: In my humble opinion "Les Miserables" is the penultimate musical, and when done with competence, as well as with heart and soul, it leaves me breathless and in tears. That was my reaction after twice seeing AF's stage production this past week. From the acting, to the sets, to the singing, and especially the pit, everything was ubelievably fabulous. Truly. I was very lucky to be able to see the Broadway version in the Chicago Theater a few years ago, and holy cow, AF's version ranks right up there side by side with the professionals! And I'm not kidding.






Sean played the bass guitar in the pit for the play, and I am so proud of him for participating in such a wonderful and worthwhile endeavor! What better way could he have spent those many, many hours of rehearsal time? For weeks he has had the opportunity to play some of the most beautiful music ever written, and he has gotten to hang out and associate with other kids who are achievers and doers and are very talented, just like him. "Les Miserables" has turned into an unforgettable, poignant and lovely memory for Sean to take with him as he finishes his high school career. And that leaves me breathless too.

1 comment:
Deon! That is one of my favorite musicals! Right up there with Wicked and Phantom. I wish I had known it was at AFHS. I would have gone! Lucky dog...
Post a Comment