Saturday, August 01, 2009

He's Got Great Chops!


I can't claim that I wasn't forewarned about what I have decided to term "The Drummer's Fidget." Another drummer's mother (Hey! Cool name for a rock band--ANOTHER DRUMMER'S MOTHER) told me that once Christian began drumming in earnest it would come to this (see comic strip below). Amen, sister! Ever since Christian began drumming those many years ago, he's been rat-a-tat-tat-ing on almost every surface available, including our HT's bald head. Jk. But I think the temptation is always there. Truth be told, I love it. It is a little bit like putting a bell around your cow's neck; you always know where your loved one is grazing.


Christian drummed his little heart out this morning marching in the last parade of the season. Yippee yi ya! That would be Christian's sentiment, not mine. Me? I love casually sitting in the coolness provided by the shade of a big elm tree along the parade route, offering the band my complete and total support by trying to wrestle as many pieces of saltwater taffy away from those little tots who are scrambling to get their haul of it while the (un)dignified city council hurls the candy directly at onlookers' faces. DON'T THEY KNOW THEY COULD PUT SOMEONE'S EYE OUT? (They are just asking for a lawsuit, if you want my opinion.)

Anyway, the band is now moving into their show season where expectations run extremely high. AFHS has taken state every year since Utah achieved statehood (or pretty nearly), and I don't think the band director is going to allow his enduring tradition of winning to die while on his watch. So, if everyone can be patient with The Drummer's Fidget a bit longer, we are good to go, Houston.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Don't you love small town parades! After hearing you holler out at Christian, I thought for sure he has going to turn and wave at you! I can't imagine how he resisted!

JA and co. said...

Haha, I love Zits! (The cartoon...not the unfortunate real-life occurrences.) That video definitely took me back to the good ol' marching band days!

Lisa and Doug said...

Seriously, Deon...you are the next Erma Bombeck! I love the way you write!