Saturday, September 05, 2009

Save the Liver!

Do you know why I adore receiving packages on my doorstep? Because sometimes those packages contain something awesomely wonderful like THIS!:
After seeing, "Julie & Julia" during its opening weekend, we barely let our eyeballs adjust to the outdoors before we dashed across the parking lot to Borders to buy this book because I was feeling extremely inspired by the movie. I fell in love with Julia Child. And with Meryl Streep, whose performance was nothing short of brilliant. The other half of the movie? The part with Julie? Meh. It was rather pedestrian and mediocre. Not bad, but on its own it would probably be at the $1.50 theater before you could master your Boeuf Bourguignon. As a whole, though, the movie was charming and tasty to watch.

One word of caution, however. The four-letter word that shows up so unnecessarily in PG13 movies these days makes its appearance once. And only once. But not in any small way. Oh boy. You can't miss it. Just ask the pack of blue-hairs who were sitting exactly one row in front of us. When they heard "the word" they went nuts with their "tsk, tsks," and their "oh for pete's sakes," and their "well, I nevers!" They eventually sat back down but only after the manager told them not to throw their Diet Cokes at the screen anymore.

We rushed home and watched "The French Chef" on PBS and on Hulu.com. (I love that site, Hulu.com. Have you visited it? So cool. Did you know you can watch full episodes of "Bewitched," its slightly inferior knock-off, "I Dream of Jeannie," and even "Welcome Back, Kotter." Remember that one? So Sorry. Yeah, I do too.) So, to view a true classic of Julia in action, click here. Did you click? Do it! Not yet? I'll wait. Tap, tap, tap. Are you back? Onward!

So back to my book! Ah, j'étais si triste! We discovered that Borders was completely sold out (of course), so I did what I seem programmed to d0 no matter how hard!!! (not all that much, really) I try to resist: I went shopping at home. Bought the book off of the Internet. Bless you, Al Gore. Where would I be today without you? Okay. I hear you, Dave. You're thinking, "Where would you be?! WHERE WOULD YOU BE?!!! Why you, or rather, we, would be a lot richer if not for that Al Gore Internet shopping doodad of yours." But Dave, you really must consider all of the money I save in gas . . . .

And finally (yay!), here we have Dan Akroyd doing a spot-on impression of Julia Child for SNL back in the day. DISCLAIMER: The advertising appearing before the video does not necessarily reflect the opinions of this blogger. DISCLAIMER PART DEUX: If you are at all squeamish or if there are small children in the room, you may wish to stop the video at about the 2:00 mark. But maybe not. It's totally your call. I'll just say that it's not real blood. I'm pretty sure it's not. Hard to say, now that I think about it . . . . Anyway! Here you go:



8 comments:

Lisa and Doug said...

I loved this movie and was always glad when the plot shifted back to Meryl playing Julia! She was awesome. I absolutely love how Julia Child's cookbook is now number one on the New York Times Bestseller list! So have you made anything from the cookbook yet?

Beth said...

I wished I cooked! I would run right out and buy the book! Loved the SNL clip!

Beth said...

I wished I cooked! I would run right out and buy the book! Loved the SNL clip!

Jacque said...

I just might need to take a look-seeat that there book of yours...
Oh yes, with a sample of your mostrecent creaton if you don't mind, too.

Unknown said...

That clip was hilarious! I was laughing so hard (that is when I wasn't gagging)!
We love hulu at our house. I love that I can watch old episodes of Dallas again and enjoy the drama! I'm still waiting to find out who shot JR though!

Ashley said...

I have been dying to find the perfect French onion soup recipe. I'll bet Julia has a recipe for that! I'll have to borrow the book sometime.

Dave said...

I used to cringe when I heard you mention "internet shopping", but I must say, you have proven to be very adept and resourceful in your shopping ways, and with the higher gas prices, I would concur that you have earned the title of "Smart Shopper". Now that you have mastered the skill though, maybe you won't have to practice so much :) (just kidding...if I don't watch what I say, you may not make that wonderful souffle again (from the cookbook) that we had last week. Very, very yummy!!)

JA and co. said...

Glad to hear you liked the movie...I've been wanting to see it! Your post has inspired me to covet your new cookbook...yum.

Oh, and I also love hulu :). It's great for people like us who only get 10 channels and 3 of them are spanish.