Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I Give You Permission to Gloat

The following reading list appeared in my newspaper recently. I thought to myself, "Oh, goody! I would love to have a comprehensive list of great reading material prescribed by an honors program professor, and, just my luck, that is who happened to write this very list I am holding in my hands! I am stoked!" Yes, that is truly what I thought to myself. Word for word. Every word. Verbatim.

So then I got to the part of the article that listed the books. Oh. The books. Right.

Hey? Just out of curiosity, how many of you intellectual types out there have read "The Essential Eusebius" by Eusebius? Perhaps you've perused "Thus Spake Zarathustra" by Nietzsche? Or this long-time fave, "Lives of the Noble Greeks and Romans" by Plutarch? No reason. Just wonderin'.
Click on the list for a closer look to see if you every right to gloat.
Or not.


I received this treasure-trove from Dave as a sweet little Christmas gift a couple of years ago. Do you think this is a subtle commentary by Dave on me and my intellectual prowess? (Frankly, he is pretty spot-on.)


Just try topping Puff and Spot and Dick and Jane, Messrs. Virgil, Sophocles and Aeschylus. It's tough to beat near genius.

8 comments:

Beth said...

What a sweet husband! I think I like his book list best!

Lisa and Doug said...

Oh how I would love to receive a Dick and Jane book. What a perfectly thoughtful book. I'm so jealous.

Jenni Elyse said...

Wow! I suck! I haven't read a single one of those books. A lot of them are on my to read list, though.

The retro Dick and Jane book is awesome! Way to go, Dave!

Unknown said...

I think I better get going on that reading list. I don't think I have heard of more than half those books.

I think the Dick and Jane book is fantastic!

Gwyl said...

What only 300 pages per day? What are they thinking? LOL I don't see Stephen King on that list! I do however recognize a couple of books on that list. :-)

Ellen James said...

What are you talking about? I haven't read all of them, but maybe 94%.

JUST KIDDING. That list is ridiculous. My list is a little more along the "Dick & Jane" lines. With some Grisham, Dan Brown & C.S. Lewis mixed in.

On a serious note, have you ever heard of Good Reads? It is the best when you are looking for a book to read. It's similar to FaceBook, but you are friends with others and everyone shares their favorite book picks. You can rate the books you have read. It's really fun. Jump on and add me as a friend! :)

Kathleen said...

So, I haven't read any of those books either, I haven't even heard of some of those books. I have read Dick and Jane cover to cover. You've got a very sweet husband, very creative too.

Ashley said...

Thanks to high school lit classes, I've read six of those books (and actually enjoyed them!). I'm pretty sure Jordan has read even more of those books. I've listened to the symphony that accompanies the play Peer Gynt, does that count?

However, Kimball has introduced me to the literary genius of Dick and Jane, and we just can't put it down!