Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Music Crush

You've heard of a "man crush," right? It's when a guy thinks another guy is super-duper cool and kind of wishes he could be that guy for a day or two. I hear that a lot of guys have a man crush on Jimmer right now. And Tom Brady. And, Woody Allen. Wait. That can't be right, can it? Woody Allen? Pause, pause. Ponder, ponder. Now I'm all confused. Anywho! If I were a guy, I would totally have a man crush on Johnny Depp. Stop. I do have a man crush on Johnny Depp, and I'm not even a man. Huh. Go work that one out with your psychoanalyst and get back with me when you've got it all figured out.

Besides my man crush on Johnny Depp (oh, hi Dave! didn't see you there), I have a new music crush. Let me tell you, sister! I am in full gallop in LOVE with this particular piece of music. To the musically snobbish (read: Classical 89.1 listeners), I'm sure it is like cotton candy--all fluff and sugary and oh so contemporary, but I don't care. I love it. I LOVE IT!!! This piece sits very close to the top of my heap of classical favorites, very, very close to the top, almost sitting atop of and rubbing shoulders with my bawl-your-eyes-out Scheherazade (nothing is better than that). And I'd bet my copy of The Pirates of the Caribbean (hey, Johnny!) that those Classical 89.1 listers would not sniff their noses at my Scheherazade. Just sayin' that this is that good. To me.

Quick, like a bunny, run and get yourself a nice hot cup of Pero or whatever it is ya'll are drinking these days, and settle in to watch and listen to this. (I know it is a time investment, but SO worth those ten minutes that you would otherwise be using to watch that ridiculous "The Bachelor" skankiness.) So, hang in there with it; I always think my head is going to explode at about the 8:47 mark when things really get ripping in preparation for the big finish. You are crazy not to adore this piece. But you must listen AND watch. The passion these performers put into their work is half of the enticement and lure (and dare I say, the sexiness, whoa!) of it. So watch it.

And now, please enjoy Gustavo Dudamel and the Simon Bolivar Orchestra performing "Danzon No. 2" by Arturo Marquez:



Tell me you did not love that. I dare you. Seriously. I am in love.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh yeah, that's really pretty. I like the flair at the ending. The beginning made me want to learn how to play the violin. I wonder if you would like the composer's other works? I have never heard of him.

Shane, Liz and all the Crew said...

wow, now i feel so cultured! the conductor was so adorable! and i did love the 8:47 mark as well!!
thanks for sharing
love,
liz

The Morris Family said...

Paige had to see what I was watching and she sat thoroughly absorbed in this video the WHOLE time! I can only hope that she becomes a cultured, intelligent individual from this one video. :)
The conductor makes conducting an orchestra look so easy. I thought his faces were adorably cute!

The Morris Family said...

BTW, we did love it! :)